Help with your council tax
If you are having difficulty paying your council tax or rent, we may be able to help. If you feel that you may be entitled, you can put in a claim for council tax support or housing benefit.
Council tax support
You may be entitled to council support if:
- you are responsible for paying the council tax on the property you live in
- you get income support, job seekers allowance, employment support allowance or the ‘guaranteed credit’ part of pension credit, or otherwise have a low income. You can still apply if you are working and have a low income.
You may be entitled to housing benefit if:
- you are liable to pay rent for the property you live in
- you are on a low income, income support, jobseeker’s allowance or pension credit.
How to make a claim
Apply using the online benefits claim and calculator, download a Housing Benefit and Council Tax support claim form or request one by calling the number below.
Please note if you are of working age, you cannot get council tax support or housing benefit if you have savings of £16,000 or more.
You can contact us for a benefit claim form or for help and advice:
- by phone: 0345 302 2312 - Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
- in person by visiting one of our customer centres.
- in writing:
London Borough of Lambeth
Revenues and Benefits Department
Brixton Customer Centre
18 Brixton Hill
London SW2 1RL.
Completed claim forms must be returned to the Revenues and Benefits Department at the address above. Any delay may result in loss of benefit.