Section 50 NRSWA licence application form
Any person or organisation who wishes to carry out work within, excavate, or break through the existing existing public highway (road and pavement) will need to apply for a Section 50 NRSWA licence using this form under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA), prior to the work taking place.
Please read the following guidance notes:
- The person granted the streetworks licence becomes an undertaker for the purposes of NRSWA, and therefore attracts the relevant duties and responsibilities imposed by the Act and associated Secondary Legislation and Codes of Practice.
- Contractors must hold valid NRSWA accreditation. Contractors or other individuals without the appropriate NRSWA knowledge and accreditation will not be allowed to work within the public highway.
- Financial penalties may arise to the licence holders for non-compliance with the relevant statutory duties or licence conditions, and applicants must note that this liability cannot be delegated to any other person or organisation.
- The requirement to obtain the licence applies to any person or organisation (other than anyone acting under a statutory right) who wishes to place, retain and thereafter inspect, maintain, adjust, repair, alter, or renew apparatus or change its position or remove it from the highway. The term "apparatus" includes drains, cables, ducts, sewer pipes, water and gas pipes etc both under, over, across, along, or upon the public highway.
- The application must be submitted at least 10 working days prior to commencement of the proposed work, together with traffic management plans if works are to be carried out on the carriageway. Please note that should any works require a Temporary Traffic Order (e.g. Road Closure), or if works are due to last longer than 11 working days, then 3 months notice must be provided.
The above guidance is not exhaustive of all the requirements of the licence. If you require further information or guidance please contact us at the contacts below.
Should any other license be required i.e. Hoarding, Fencing, Crane, etc, please see our highways licences page.
Completed application forms
Completed application forms are to be submitted to: Streetworks Team,
Traffic and Highways,
3rd Floor Blue Star House,
234-244 Stockwell Road,
London SW9 9SP
Phone: 0207 926 0305
Documents on the Lambeth website will be in Adobe PDF format or Microsoft Office
formats such as Word or Excel. These formats determine what software you will
need on you computer in order to be able to read them. This software is free
and can be downloaded using the links below.
Adobe Reader (for files in PDF format)
Microsoft Office Viewers (for viewing files in Microsoft Word or Excel format)