Birth - re-registering
Depending on the circumstances, it may be possible to change the details or add to the information recorded at the time of the original birth registration.
If the father's details were not included in the registration
If the parents were not married to each other at the time of the birth and the father did not attend with the mother to register the baby, it is possible to re-register the birth at any time in the future to include the father's details in the registration and change the surname of the child.
- A form is available from this office that has to be completed by both parents.
- The easiest way for a birth to be re-registered is for both parents to attend the Register Office together after making an appointment.
- However, it is possible for either parent to make a statutory declaration, before a solicitor or other person able legally to witness an oath, acknowledging parentage of the child.
- It is also possible for either parent to seek a Court Order naming the father.
- In any of these cases the birth will be registered again and certified copies of the re-registered birth can be purchased from the registrar.
If the parents have married each other since the birth was registered
In this case, the birth should be re-registered to accurately record the current legal status of the child.
- A form is available from the Register Office that must be signed by both parents.
- Either parent can then attend the Register Office, after making an appointment, with the completed form and a copy of the marriage certificate.
- The birth will then be re-registered and the child's surname can be changed as part of this process.
- Certifies copies of the re-registered birth can be purchased from the registrar.
If the child was given the father's surname
If the parents were not married to each other at the time of the birth and it was decided to give the child the father's surname, whether or not he attended with the mother, it is not possible to change the surname in the registration back to that of the mother.
Making the changes
You will need an appointment. Please call us on 020 7926 9420 to make an appointment.
- We offer appointments from Monday to Friday, between 9am and 4pm.
- We will aim to see you within ten minutes of your appointment time, if you arrive on time.
- Please note that the Register Office is closed on the first Wednesday of every month until 1pm.
Please see the Can I change the birth record at a later date? section of the General Register Office website for further information.
Who to contact
Lambeth Town Hall
Phone: 020 7926 9420