The Council Chamber
The Council Chamber is situated between the two corridors on the first floor and can be entered from either. In the Ante-room of the Council Chamber is a wooden panel, which lists the Mayors of Lambeth since 1900.
The Council Chamber, 72 feet (21.95 metres) long and 42 feet (12.80 metres) wide, is surmounted by a dome 30 feet (9.14 metres) in diameter carried on tour pendentive arches, which are in turn supported by a large order of Ionic columns.
When the Council meets elected members sit in party groupings in a hemisphere of chairs facing the Mayor, with officers sitting at the rear and sides of the chamber. The Chief Executive sits to the right of the Mayor. In 1999, the Council introduced an electronic voting system but the historic ‘Ayes’ and ‘Noes’ lobbies can still be seen. On days when the full Council meets the Lambeth borough flag flies on two flag staffs on the roof of the Town Hall.
The Council meets regularly throughout the year. Tickets for the public gallery may be obtained from the Acre Lane entrance to the Town Hall from 6.30pm on the day of the meeting. All meetings of the Council start at 7.00pm.