Mutual exchange and home swap
You can swap your home with another council or housing association tenant in Lambeth or anywhere else in the country, provided your landlord agrees. This is known as a mutual exchange. Both partners in the exchange will need to obtain permission from their respective landlords for the exchange to go ahead.
What are the benefits of mutual exchange?
- provides a broader range of choices regarding the size, type, and location of your home
- gives you the opportunity to find a home that is suitable for the needs of you and your family.
If you consider swapping with someone outside of London, you may benefit from a cheaper cost of living.
Who is eligible for mutual exchange?
Anyone living in council or housing association accommodation can exchange their home subject to approval from both landlords.
Who does not qualify for mutual exchange?
Tenants of private landlords, homeowners and people living in shared ownership properties do not qualify for the scheme.
How do I arrange a mutual exchange?
A mutual exchange can be arranged independently. There is no formal application process if you do it this way. Both applicants' landlords will however need to give their approval. You should contact your landlord directly for more information.
Tips for success at mutual exchange
The exchange is more likely to be successful if:
- you try to be as flexible as possible about the area and type of property you consider to increase your chances of finding a suitable swap partner
- if both parties are interested in an exchange, arrangements should be made for a mutually convenient time for a viewing
- you make sure you know what kind of tenancy you will be taking on as there are differences between local authority and housing association tenancies. Your landlord will be able to advise you on this. Also check your rent.
Remember to check
- If you are interested in eventually buying the property, check you are able to as many housing associations homes cannot be bought buy tenants
- Make sure you can afford the removal expenses. If you are claiming income support, you could qualify for a social Fund loan from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
Important points to remember
- give or receive money or goods to secure an exchange, you could be evicted and even fined
- exchange without your landlord's permission, you could be evicted.
Mutual exchange websites
A free mutual exchange website to find someone to exchange with:
Also there is this useful website to find someone to exchange with which you will need to pay a small fee to use: