Transfer Incentive Scheme
We encourage Lambeth council tenants who are under-occupying their property, to move to smaller homes that meet their needs through our Transfer Incentive Scheme.
We also encourage people to move to general purpose accommodation if they no longer require their wheelchair-adapted property.
If you are a Lambeth council tenant and you qualify for the scheme, we will ensure that as an incentive you are given high priority for a move to an area of your choice within Lambeth.
We will also pay you £1,000 for each bedroom you give up when you move to a smaller home or £1,000 for every wheelchair-adapted property you no longer need. We will also pay for reasonable removal or connection costs if the move is within Lambeth.
Why is there an incentive to move?
We do not currently have enough larger and wheelchair-adapted homes to meet demand in Lambeth. We therefore pay an incentive to people who live in such properties to move to a more suitable home if they are either under-occupying, or no longer have need for wheelchair adaptations. By encouraging people to move out of these properties, we are able to allocate them to people who really need them.
Who can apply for the scheme
- Lambeth Council tenants
- You must be living in a property with two or more bedrooms, and want to move to a property with fewer bedrooms
- Alternatively you may be living in a wheelchair-adapted property, which you no longer require, and want to move to general-purpose accommodation
- You must have adhered to the conditions of your tenancy
- You must have no rent arrears, or be willing to agree with the council that the incentive can be used as payment to clear any arrears you do have
Benefits of the scheme?
- You will be prioritised for a move to an area of your choice
- You will get £1,000 for each bedroom you give up when you move to a smaller home or £1,000 for every wheelchair-adapted property you no longer need
- You get a home that better suits your needs, plus you help someone less fortunate than yourself
- Your running costs, such as gas and electricity charges, will be reduced in a smaller home
- We will pay for your removal and connection costs if you move to another home in Lambeth
- We will make it our top priority to find you a new home that is suitable for you and your family
What can I expect from the scheme?
- Applying does not commit you to anything, and you will have the final say about where you move
- You can ask to be considered for council or housing association homes
- You may be able to move more quickly if you consider moving to a home managed by a housing association
- You can be nominated to another borough (subject to having a local connection and that borough's agreement)
- If you are aged 55 or over, you may be nominated to move into one of our Sheltered Housing schemes, subject to eligibility.
Can I move out of Lambeth on this scheme?
Although you can move out of Lambeth through the Scheme, very few properties in other places become available. We advertise those that do through our Choice Based Lettings scheme and everybody can bid for them in the usual way. We won’t pay your removal expenses if you move out of Lambeth.
How do I access the scheme?
Contact your Area Housing Office for more information. Please note that the cash incentive is only available for moves through the our Choice Base Lettings scheme and is not available if your move to a smaller home independently.
Claims for the incentive payment must be made within 28 days of moving. Please note that the incentive fund is cash limited and may be stopped. Assistance with removals is not covered unless agreed in advance.
Are there any other options?
You may be able to move more quickly if you also consider moving to a home that is managed by a housing association. Housing association homes are advertised alongside council properties through our Choice Based Lettings scheme.
This can mean we have a better chance of finding you the right place to live in. However, if you do become a tenant of a housing association, you may no longer have the right to buy your home.
If you are aged 55 or over, you may choose to move into one of our sheltered-housing schemes. Sheltered housing offers totally independent living in your own flat in a secure environment, with a Sheltered Housing Officer available to offer you support if you need or want it.