Vauxhall area supplementary planning document
Vauxhall is part of an exciting regeneration area, stretching from Battersea Power Station to Lambeth Bridge (see Vauxhall Nine Elms). In the next 10 years this could see 16,000 new homes, up to 25,000 new jobs and an extension to London Underground's Northern line.
We've worked with local residents and businesses to develop the Vauxhall area SPD (2013). It paints a clear picture of Vauxhall as a lively riverside town centre with a proper high street - dominated by people not traffic. The SPD promotes change and growth as an opportunity to tackle long standing issues, such as high unemployment, poor health and choice of homes.
Consultation on the draft SPD closed on Monday 26 November 2012. The Vauxhall SPD was approved by the Council's Cabinet on 14 January 2013.
More than 200 people came to the 'Vision for Vauxhall' open days on 14 and 15 March at St George Wharf. You can still view the exhibition online and details of what people said are helping us to draft the SPD.
What does a SPD do?
A supplementary planning document for the Vauxhall area:
- sets out a vision for the future of the area
- provides a guide for applying local, regional and national planning policy
- makes it clear what kind of development will be acceptable
- sets out the local improvements we want developments to contribute towards.
Background to the Vauxhall area SPD
Between October and December 2008 we consulted on a draft Vauxall Area SPD - which had been approved for public consultation on 28 July 2008.
The draft SPD reflected the Lambeth Unitary Development Plan (UDP), the London Plan and emerging policy for the Nine Elms regeneration area (also known as the Vauxhall Nine Elms Battersea opportunity area - VNEB OA).
The draft SPD now needs to take into account:
- progress made on the mayor's planning framework for the wider VNEB OA
- the Development Infrastructure Funding Study (DIFS), commissioned by the GLA, that proposes a planning tariff to be applied on all developments in the VNEB area
- other work undertaken by the cross-borough VNEB Strategy Board, including consultation on a vision for the area to be known as Nine Elms.
- A refresh of the draft Vauxhall area SPD
- A statutory consultation on the draft Vauxhall area SPD - October/November 2012
- The Council's Cabinet will need to adopt the Vauxhall area SPD for it to become policy