A short history of North Lambeth
Lambeth first appears in 1062 in a Charter of Edward the Confessor as Lambe-hithe, and in 1086 Lambeth appeared in the Domesday book as Lanchei. The origins of the name are unclear, although the most common suggestion is that the name means muddy port from lam meaning mud and hyth meaning a haven or port.
At the time of the Domesday Book Lambeth was held partly by Lambeth Church and partly by Count Robert of Mortain. Its assets were 2½ hides, 1 church, 10 ploughs, 22 acres of meadow and woodland worth 3 hogs.
The area developed slowly as the ground south of the river was marshy and difficult to build on. Called Lambeth Marsh, the original settlement was directly opposite the Palace of Westminster and was home to boatmen serving Westminster and the City of London.
In the 15th Century the home of the Archbishop of Canterbury, Lambeth Palace was built.
Today, North Lambeth - more commonly referred to as Waterloo - is home to several well known buildings including the London Eye, the Royal Festival Hall, the Royal National Theatre, St Thomas' Hospital, County Hall and Waterloo Station.
Famous North Lambeth residents
Among others, famous people who were born in the area include Sir Arthur Sullivan, from Gilbert and Sullivan operas (born 1842) and Charlie Chaplin (born 1889).