Child car seats
A child car seat, fitted correctly in your car, could save your child's life in a crash.
The law states that every child from birth up to their 12th birthday or until they reach 135cm height must use an appropriate child car seat or infant carrier.
Until a child reaches 135cm an adult belt will not protect them properly in a crash and may even cause severe injury to their neck and internal organs.
Your child can only safely use an adult seatbelt when he or she is tall enough for the diagonal belt to rest across his/her shoulder and the lap belt across his/her lap.
Quick facts and safety advice
- 30 children die each year because of incorrectly fitted car seats
- up to 80% of child car seats and infant carriers are not fitted correctly
- you should never fit a rearward facing infant carrier or child car seat in the front seat of a car with an air-bag. In a crash, the activated air-bag could be fatal to your child
- not every seat fits every car - check online to see which car seats are suitable for your car
- buy your child car seat from a reputable dealer who will check it is suitable for your car and show you how to fit it
- read the instructions carefully, and make sure the seat is correctly fitted before every trip, no matter how short
- don't use a second-hand car seat, even if it looks fine - it may have been involved in a collision and won't give your child full protection in a crash.
More information on child car seats