Do it by phone
Call us for more information or to book an appointment with the Nationality Checking Service.
Full payment needs to be made at the time the appointment is booked - please have your debit or credit card with you when you phone.
Who can use this service
Any Lambeth resident who is applying for British citizenship, providing they hold the correct documentation (see "Next Steps" below).
Costs for this service
The fee for the checking service is currently:
- £50 per adult application
- £20 per child application
Full payment needs to be made at the time the appointment is booked, and payment is taken by debit or credit card (except for American Express).
Appointments can only be rescheduled once and are subject to 48 hours notice. No refunds will be given once the appointment is booked
What you need to know...
The aim of this service is to help reduce unnecessary delays in the process of applying for British Citizenship by ensuring that your application meets the guidelines set by the Home Office.
The benefits of using this service:
- application forms will be checked for completeness and accuracy
- most important documents can be kept by the applicant
- all applications are sent to the Home Office by secure registered post
Please note, this is not a fast track service - however, applications that are accurate and complete tend to be handled quickly and without further enquiry.
The Home Office Immigration and Nationality Directorate deals with each application on its own merit and it cannot be guaranteed that the Home Office will approve an application that has been checked using this service.
The Home Office reserves the right to request further documentation/proof at any time during the course of the application. Failure to disclose information will affect your application and may result in it being rejected.
Bring the following to your Nationality Checking Service appointment:
- a completed application form for British nationality. Forms can be downloaded from the GOV.UK website - citizenship documents
- all relevant documents that you are required to produce (as indicated in the application form)
- the correct fee for the Home Office (as indicated in the application form). The fee for the Home Office is compulsory and must be paid by either credit card, debit card or a cheque.
You will also need to bring:
- your Life in the UK Test Certificate
and (unless you come from a majority English-speaking country)
- proof of your knowledge of the English language. You can prove it by having either an English qualification at B1 level, or a degree taught or researched in English
Please check your English qualification or degree fully meets requirements by visiting the GOV.UK website - Prove your knowledge of English for citizenship and settling
Approval of your application
If the Home Office approves your application for British Citizenship they will write to you and send you an invitation letter, which will inform you who you need to contact to book your Citizenship Ceremony.
Your details will also be sent to us. Once we have been notified that your application has been approved, we will automatically contact you with the next available group ceremony date.