This guide provides information for private landlords, including standards for privately rented housing.

1. Landlord accreditation

Landlord accreditation sets out to reward and provide incentives for landlords who manage properties to a good standard, and who demonstrate respect and responsibility towards their tenants. Anyone who is a ‘good’ landlord can become accredited.

Apart from the recognition of being a ‘good’ landlord, responsible tenants are more likely to want to rent properties from you if you can demonstrate good practice. We have a number of incentives to encourage you to be accredited.


  • Landlords who successfully complete the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme training are more likely to be entitled to grants that are available for landlords (subject to funding).
  • Accredited landlords will be able to get discounts from builders merchants, insurance companies, fire safety equipment, have access to specialist training and officers and will be used regularly in consulting on policy.
  • We have a dedicated landlord development officer, who can provide details of any available incentives. We will help accredited landlords with advice and access to council officers should problems arise.
  • The landlord development officer will work on expanding the incentives available in partnership with landlords. This work will be done through the landlord accreditation sub-group of Lambeth's private sector housing forum.


Landlord Development Officer
Lettings First
2-7 Town Hall Parade
Brixton Hill

Further information

For more details about landlord accreditation, or training available for landlords, please contact the London Landlord Accreditation Scheme (LLAS) at:

London Landlord Accreditation Scheme
Camden Town Hall Extension
Argyle Street
Telephone: 020 7974 1970
Website: London Landlord accreditation scheme

Alternatively, information on developments relating to landlord accreditation nationally, including best practice and the annual conference, can be found through the Accreditation Network UK.

2. Grants and loans for landlords

Grants and loans available for landlords include: empty property grants, health and safety grants for houses in multiple occupation and Houseproud loans.

Empty property grants

Empty property grants are available for properties that have been vacant for longer than six months. A condition of the grant is that the property is then let to the council for five years, during which time there would be a guaranteed rental income.

For further details about Empty Property Grants contact the Empty Property Team on 020 7926 4247 or 020 7926 4444.

Other grants and loans

For information relating to other grants and loans, or if you are interested in finding out more about the grants and loans listed on this page please contact us directly.

Contact us

Telephone: 020 7926 4444

3. Privately rented housing standards

We offer an advice service for private landlords and also enforce compliance with housing standards and licensing requirements. The following information explains the standards that tenants may reasonably expect to be met in their accommodation.

Landlords' responsibilities

Landlords have obligations to their tenants which include carrying out repairs, meeting safety requirements and providing certain information. Landlords are responsible for:

  • the exterior and structural elements of the premises
  • the installations within and associated with the premises for the supply and use of water, gas and electricity, personal hygiene, sanitation and drainage
  • the installation for heating water and space heating.

Landlords must agree what other repairs they will do, and must carry out the repairs within a reasonable period. They also need to tell the tenant about the arrangements for emergency repairs.


You have specific legal obligations to ensure the safety of your tenants and should provide and fit smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in appropriate locations and ensure that they are maintained in good working order. All the furniture provided must meet safety standards and you should not furnish the property with older or second hand furniture which may not meet these standards.

Fire safety - If a property is occupied as an HMO, landlords have additional responsibilities to provide and maintain adequate fire precautions.

Gas safety - Landlords must obtain an annual Gas Safety Certificate and installation and fitting must be inspected every year by a Gas Safe registered gas engineer. Only Gas Safe registered gas engineers may carry out any work on any gas installation or fixtures.

Electrical safety - Landlords must maintain the electrical installation and any equipment provided in a safe condition. Although there is no legal requirement to obtain or display an Electrical Safety Certificate, it is recommended periodic inspections and testing is carried out (at least every five years) or on change of tenancy.

Contact information

You must provide your name and a contact address to your tenants and may also have to provide additional information about the tenancy if requested. If the property is a HMO, you must also provide information relating to fire precautions and means of escape in a number of suitable locations in the property and must provide details regarding occupation to us, on request.

Unsafe conditions and disrepair

Members of our Environmental Health team can inspect property conditions using the HHSRS. This is a risk based system which enables us to identify hazards in premises and to recommend works to remove or minimise hazards. Much of the work we do is to provide advice to landlords that can make a property 'safe' and 'decent'.

We may decide to take enforcement action, which could involve serving notices and ultimately prosecuting landlords who openly fail to fulfil their legal obligations.

4. Contact us

Private Sector Housing
Hambrook House
Porden Road
London SW2 5RW
Telephone: 020 7926 4444/4247