Download and complete
Who can use this service
Residents of the borough whose disability has a substantial effect on their ability to carry out normal day to day activities and who have a disability which is permanent or which may last for at least 12 months may be entitled to a Freedom Pass.
The seven categories for eligibility are for people:
- who are blind or partially sighted
- who are profoundly or severely deaf
- who are without speech
- who have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk
- who do not have arms or have a long-term loss of the use of both arms
- who have a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind, which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
- who, if they applied for the grant of a licence to drive a motor vehicle (under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988), would have their applications refused due to physical fitness (section 92) other than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.
Costs for this service
There is no cost to the user for journeys on local London transport services.
If the pass is used for a journey on national rail to travel beyond the Greater London area, then the extra onward cost of the journey must be paid before boarding the train.
What you need to know...
Before you start to fill out the application form, read the guidance notes:
Once you have completed the form, return it to:
Accessible Transport Unit
Olive Morris House
18 Brixton Hill
Telephone: 0207 926 7777
Please note that it can take six weeks to fully process your Freedom Pass application form. This is to allow for proof of address checks, screening of application and where relevant, attendance at our mobility assessment clinic.
It will take longer for a decision to be made if you do not supply all the information required, including information to prove your eligibility and also your residency. Please read the guidance on eligibility carefully before completing your application.
You can also find out further information on the Freedom Pass Website: