You can apply to us for financial help with your child's travel costs if the child is resident in Lambeth.

Download and complete

Who can use this service

  • you must live in the Borough of Lambeth
  • your child must attend the nearest appropriate school to home

The walking distance between home and school must be:

  • two miles or more if your child is under eight or
  • three miles or more if your child is eight years or over.

If you are in receipt of Income Support or income-based Job Seeker's Allowance, the distances are reduced to:

  • one mile or more if your child is under eight or
  • two miles or more if your child is eight or over.

In all cases the distance is measured by the shortest safe walking route, avoiding the use of unlit or unmade footpaths.

Assistance will normally be made available only where the pupil is attending the nearest available school at which a place could be offered.

If your child qualifies for help with travel costs they will be given a bus pass which they collect from their school. Travel Cards will be issued only on special medical grounds or if using buses is not possible for the journey.

What you need to know...

Before you apply for travel assistance, please read the Guidance on applying for a school travel grant (PDF 468KB).

You can learn more about free travel for under 16s on the Transport for London free travel information page.

Next steps

Send your completed application form to:

Lambeth Education
1st Floor
International House
Canterbury Crescent
London SW9 7QE
Telephone: 020 7926 9307/9390
Fax: 020 7926 9397