A carer's assessment is for adult carers who care for an adult who has a disability, ill health or is elderly.

An assessment is where you can discuss the support or services you may need.

We will look at how your caring affects your health and wellbeing.

For example this includes your:

  • health - physical mental and emotional needs
  • relationships social activities and your goals
  • work, study, training and leisure.

When carrying out any assessment, we'll adopt what is called a whole family approach. This means we'll consider how your needs impacts on other family members.

The assessment will also look at your feelings and choices about caring for instance, are you able and willing to continue caring?

You can have an assessment regardless of:

  • the amount or type of care you provide
  • your income
  • your level of need for support.

You can also have an assessment whether or not the person you are caring for has:

  • had an assessment
  • been assessed and the outcome is that they are not eligible for care and support.

Once you have been assessed and we agree that your caring role has a significant impact on your health and wellbeing a support plan is developed.

How to get an assessment

To request a carer's assessment email us at adultsocialcare@lambeth.gov.uk or call 020 7926 5555.

What is a carer’s support plan?

A carer's support plan will set out:

  • details of your needs
  • those needs which are eligible and which needs we will meet
  • how the support will help you to achieve what is important to you.

Breaks for carers

Everyone needs time off from the physical and mental demands of caring. Many carers want to take full responsibility for the person they care for, however, it is important that you look after yourself too.

Even a short respite can help you to come back to your caring role refreshed and better able to continue caring.

There are many different ways of organising respite, be it for an hour a week, a holiday, or regular help with the day-to-day tasks of caring. The important thing is to know that the person you care for is safe.

There is no fixed entitlement to carers' respite, and it is important to remember that arranging respite can take some time.

For some services you need to have be referred by us. For others, you can refer yourself to the organisation.

You should always satisfy yourself that a provider is suitable for the care needed. If the person you care for requires personal (intimate) care, the provider must be registered with the Care Quality Commission.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspects all care homes and regulated homecare agencies in England and Wales. Search the CQC website for a named care home or agency or enter your postcode to search in your area.