Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. Who is social care for?

Some people need extra care or support, practical or emotional, to lead an active life and do the everyday things many of us take for granted.

You may need social care after an accident or severe illness, as you become frailer with age, or as a young disabled person leaving home.

Social care is not day-to-day medical care at home or palliative care, which is nursing care. It is closely linked with NHS services and your hospital or GP can refer you to social care services.

Social care is means tested so you may pay for some or all your social care costs depending on your income and savings.

2. How to get help

We know how difficult it can be living with a disability, or finding that you or a loved one cannot do the things you used to be able to do
You shouldn’t be afraid to ask for help.

Each year the Government cuts means we have less money to spend on services. More than half is spent on supporting and looking after our most vulnerable residents in the borough.

Adult Social Care being our biggest area of spending, as a result we have less money to spend on residents, even as the demand for key services grow.

We aim to help adults live as independently as possible supported by their communities. If you think you, or someone you know, needs help please follow these steps:  

Step 1

Find out what help and services you can access.

AskSARA AskSara is a Disabled Living Foundation ‘product’, it is an easy-to-use, online self-help tool that guides you to identify household equipment or aids that might help you.

It will ask some simple questions about you and your environment, give you expert personalised advice, making it particularly useful if you are not sure what equipment or aids might help you with your health, at home and basic daily living

There are three easy steps: Guide you to products to make daily living easier

  • Choose from a list of topics
  • Answer some questions
  • Receive a personalised report with impartial advice and relevant product suggestions

You can also visit the AgeUK website and see what local support may be available in your community.
The AgeUK MYcommunity Directory is a list of services in Lambeth to help make accessing information as straightforward as possible.

Step 2

Do you consider the adult in question to be in danger of abuse or neglect?

Safeguarding adults means protecting them from abuse or neglect, getting the right support in place as early as possible, and creating an environment in which they feel safe and healthy.

If you think you, or someone you know, is in need of safeguarding, please fill in the safeguarding form
Please do not use this form for any other purpose and only complete it you consider the adult in question to be in danger of abuse or neglect.

Step 3

Referral to Adult Social Care Services

If you have higher levels of care and support needs, you may need to be referred to Lambeth’s Adult Social Care.

You can test whether you may be eligible for Adult Social Care using the AgeUK Lambeth Directory Eligibility Tool

If you think you, or someone you know, is eligible to be referred to Lambeth’s Adult Social Care team to receive care,
please fill in the Adult Social Care referral form

If you have general questions about Adult Social Care, or if you are unsure about what steps to take, please fill in our general enquiry form.

3. Adult Social Care Referral Form (Public)

Adult Social Care Referral Form - Public

4. Contact us

If you need to speak urgently to Adult Social Care call us 020 7926 5555.

You will need to give your:

  • name
  • address
  • date of birth.

You will also be asked for information to enable us to put you through to the correct service area.


pdf Adult Social Care and you 283.04 KB