You can find information about a range of organisations selling equipment and technology to help you under Find Services. Advice and information is also available by contacting the Disabled Living Foundation.
We employ occupational therapists and assessors. They provide advice, information and help to adults and children who have long-term physical disabilities.
Occupational therapists carry out assessments to see what special equipment and adaptations are needed to help you or your child live independently within your home.
They usually work with local health providers to assess need and provide support.
Occupational therapists can provide information about:
- making a home safer for getting around, for example by the installation of handrails and ramps
- raising the height of the bed or chair so that standing is much easier if a person has stiff, painful hips and knees
- reducing worry and helping people raise their confidence about getting around or managing their disability
- providing information on ways to get support and helping people to contact other useful agencies
- helping carers to continue to maintain their caring responsibilities.
Following an assessment at home or in hospital, disability equipment may be loaned to aid your independence or help your carer look after you at home. Equipment loaned includes hoists, bath lifts, chairs, portable ramps and shower chairs. This may be provided by an occupational therapist, assessor or nurse. The Lambeth contractor, Medequip, will arrange to collect equipment when it is no longer needed. To return the equipment please contact Medequip on 0207 231 6816.