Extra care housing aims to help you to live independently for as long as possible. It gives you the security and privacy of having your own front door but with services being available to support your needs if you want them.
The scheme offers you the opportunity to be independent in your own home with flexible, individually tailored packages of care and support available on site 24 hours a day. This support may prevent you going into residential care or hospital and can help you to be discharged early.
Sections in this guide (click title to view)
- 1. Where are the Lambeth extra care schemes?
- 2. How does it work?
- 3. Can I apply for extra care housing?
- 4. How much does it cost?
- 5. How do I apply for an Extra Care housing scheme?
1. Where are the Lambeth extra care schemes?
There are five schemes currently in Lambeth and are all around the centre of the borough.
2. How does it work?
The schemes provide a range of self-contained flats to meet the needs of people that have been assessed as needing this type of housing.
Some schemes are only for older people or frail elderly and these schemes can support people who are living with dementia.
Other schemes can accommodate older people alongside adults with physical or learning disabilities including people with poor mental health.
3. Can I apply for extra care housing?
To be eligible for extra care housing you must be:
- a Lambeth resident
- eligible for social care according to the Care Act 2014 eligibility criteria
- aged 65 and over for older people schemes
- aged 18 and over with a learning disability or severe developmental delay
- assessed as suitable for extra care housing.
4. How much does it cost?
The cost of each scheme is different and these are detailed on each scheme’s leaflet.
You should expect to pay for:
- the cost of renting your home
- a housing service charge
- Council Tax
- utilities -. gas, electricity and water (these may be included in rent or separate)
- care charges
- supporting people charges.
5. How do I apply for an Extra Care housing scheme?
The adult social care team is the first point of contact for all referrals and general enquiries.
You can contact them from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm on 020 7926 5555.