If you're an adult with a learning disability you can get help and support. If you care for someone with a learning disability you may be able to get help and support for yourself as well as the person you care for.

A learning disability affects the way a person learns new things in any area of life.

It can be difficult for a person with a learning disability to:

  • understand new things
  • learn new skills
  • live independently
  • communicate with other people.

The level of support someone needs depends on the individual. For example, someone with a mild learning disability may only need support with things like getting a job.

However, someone with a severe or profound learning disability may need full­-time care and support with every aspect of their life – they may also have physical disabilities.

A person with learning disabilities may experience prejudice from other people who don't understand about learning disabilities, or feel lonely because they don't have anyone to talk to about how they are feeling.

Getting help from us

Contact us to find out how we can help you:

  • call: 020 7926 5555
  • write to: Integrated Disabilities Service, Lambeth Council, PO Box 734, Winchester, SO23 5DG

What happens next?

A social worker will normally meet with a person with a learning disability to find out what their needs are.

Usually the social worker will talk to the person’s carer too and then will assess a person’s needs and decide if they can get help.

They'll also find out what the person with learning disabilities wants and what help will work best for them. The social worker will write a plan to meet the persons care and support needs.

What other help can I get?

Travel and transport

If you find it difficult to get around, have a look at the travel and transport section for information to make travelling easier for you.

Equipment and adapting your home

Occupational therapists carry out assessments to see what special equipment and adaptations are needed to help people with learning disabilities and their carers live independently within their home.


For information about claiming disability benefits and about direct payments, go to the paying for care page.

Lambeth Learning Disability Assembly (LLDA)

LLDA is run by family carers and people with learning disabilities.

The Lambeth Learning Disability Assembly is a place for people with a learning disability and their carers to come together to talk about things that are affecting them - and what they want to see happen.

The job of the assembly is to make sure their voice is heard by all the people who make the decisions that affect them - the council, the heath decision makers - like the Clinical Commissioning Group, hospital trusts, health and wellbeing board, and people like the police, social care commissioners and others.

Have a look at the LLDA website and find out when their next meeting is.

Carer's Hub Lambeth

Carer's Hub Lambeth is a charity offering services and support to unpaid carers. Find out more on the Carers Hub website.