Being a registered childminder is a rewarding and responsible career with all the benefits of home-based working.
Childminders provide high quality home-based childcare within their local community and they promote learning through play, using the early years foundation stage curriculum (EYFS).
- look after one or more children under 8 years old for more than a total of two hours a day in their own home for payment
- are inspected by Ofsted to ensure they provide a safe and stimulating environment for the children that they care for
- are usually self-employed and run their own business.
Anyone wanting to become a childminder must complete training which helps them to understand and implement the EYFS before they can register with Ofsted.
The EYFS requires childcare providers to have sufficient understanding and use of English to ensure the well-being of children in their care: for example to be able to read instructions on medication, summon help in an emergency, complete records and assessments in English and share information.
If you're seeking to become one of Lambeth’s thriving nurseries, pre-schools, breakfast or after school clubs and require information or support, email us at email@example.com. It is essential that you have a contact number and full address details of the premises which you intend on using to deliver a childcare service before making contact.
Attend a pre-registration briefing session
This is a two hour session and will introduce you to the:
- Ofsted registration process
- EYFS statutory requirements
- support that the our EYFS team can offer you.
Session are run in Brixton and cost £10 to attend. To find out when the next session is, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete the home-based childcare pre-registration course
This is a four day course presented by our early years officers and will:
- show you the requirements of the early years foundation stage
- provide an overview of how to set up your childminding business
- support you through the Ofsted registration process.
It's also an excellent opportunity for you to meet, network and study alongside other prospective childminders and home-based care providers. It will increase your knowledge of the EYFS statutory framework as required by Ofsted.
The cost for this course is £295 and includes a childminder portfolio and a home visit for Lambeth childminders.
Complete the compulsory paediatric first aid training (minimum 12 hours)
The cost for this training is £70.
Complete compulsory safeguarding training
This is a free online training course, accessible during the four day pre-registration course.
See if you're eligible for a childcare business grant from The Department for Education to help you set up your business.
Find more about becoming a childminder - Childminding UK