Council Tax is related to the valuation of your property. Each property has been valued and placed in one of eight council tax bands by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), which is an executive agency sponsored by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC), not Lambeth Council.

Some residents have reported that they've received scam calls from a company claiming they're entitled to a council tax refund because their home has incorrectly banded for council tax. If you receive a call like this, please don't give any personal or bank details to them.

Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. How Council Tax is calculated

Council Tax is used to pay for local services, provided by us, the police and fire and rescue.

You can read more about this in the Council Tax demand notice.

One Council Tax bill is sent to a property regardless of how many people live there.

The amount you pay depends on the valuation band of your property. The bands are based on what a home might have sold for in April 1991 (even if they were built recently) and are set by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).

Finding your Council Tax band

You can find out your home's property band and charges using our property bands search tool.

2. Council Tax rates for 2018-19

View the Council Tax rates for this year and see how they compare to the previous year.

Find out which band your property is in using our property bands search tool.

Band Market value of your home on 1 April 1991 Council Tax 2017-18 Council Tax 2018-19
A Up to £40,000 £873.56 924.18
B £40,001 to £52,000 £1,019.15 1,078.21
C £52,001 to £68,000 £1,164.75 1,232.24
D £68,001 to £88,000 £1,310.34 1,386.27
E £88,001 to £120,000 £1,601.52 1,694.32
F £120,001 to £160,000 £1,892.71 2,002.39
G £160,001 to £320,000 £2,183.90 2,310.44
H £320,001 and over £2,620.68 2,772.53

3. Appeal against your Council Tax banding

If you want to appeal against your banding you must contact the VOA.

If you want to appeal about one of the issues outlined below, write to the address on the back of your bill.

  • You do not think you are the person who should pay the bill
  • You believe you are entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax which you have not received
  • You believe you are entitled to an exemption from paying Council Tax

Please be aware that you must continue to pay the instalments shown on your Council Tax bill, even if you have submitted an appeal, until a final decision is made.