If you are on a low income and paying rent, you may be entitled to housing benefit. Use the benefit calculator and claim form to apply for housing benefit and/or council tax support.

From December 2018, some residents will be eligible for Universal Credit instead of housing benefit. You can find out more information here: https://universalcreditinfo.net/ or by phoning One Lambeth Advice.

You will need to make a separate Council Tax Support application if you are claiming Universal Credit.

Do it online (external site)

This action is completed on another site (lambeth.teamnetsol.com/).
Please click the 'Save and come back later' button straight away. Otherwise you will not be able to return to your claim form after taking a break.

Who can use this service

Housing benefit

If you get income-based jobseeker's allowance or income support, you may get your full eligible rent paid.

If you do not get income-based jobseeker's allowance, income related employment and support allowance, guaranteed pension credit or income support, you may still get your full eligible rent paid.

If you do not get any of these benefits, the amount of housing benefit you may receive depends on:

  • the amount of rent you pay
  • how many people live with you
  • your personal circumstances
  • how much money you have coming in
  • how much you have in savings.

Council tax support

You can apply for council tax support if you get income support, job seekers allowance, employment support allowance or the ‘guaranteed credit’ part of pension credit, or otherwise have a low income.

You can still apply if you are working and have a low income. Council tax support will mean you pay a reduced amount of council tax or no council tax. Council tax support is not given automatically - you must make a claim.

If you are of working age, you cannot get council tax support or housing benefit if you have savings of £16,000 or more.

Some people and properties are exempt from council tax. People who do not meet the criteria for council tax support may still be able to apply to reduce their council tax. Read our guide to reducing your council tax for more information.

What you need to know...

You will need documents to support your claim: