Under certain circumstances, you can request that your Housing Benefit and, or Council Tax Support start from a date before you submitted your claim. This is known as ‘backdating’.

Do it online

What you need to know...

Claimants over pensionable age

If you're over pensionable age your claim for Housing Benefit and, or Council Tax Support will automatically be backdated for up to three months.

You don't need to apply for this or explain why you didn't apply sooner, unless you're receiving Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance. If you think your claim should have been backdated, but hasn’t been, let us know.

Claimants under pensionable age

Where a claimant is under pensionable age, backdating can only be approved where exceptional circumstances prevented a claim from being made earlier.

An instance where backdating may be considered is where illness prevented an application being submitted.

If you feel you have a valid reason for not submitting an application sooner, you'll be asked to provide supporting evidence. For example, if you have been too ill to apply we will request a letter from your doctor to support this.

Forgetting to claim or being unaware that you could backdate a claim are not legitimate reasons to request a claim be backdated.

You can request that your claim is backdated for up to:

  • 1 month prior to your application for Housing Benefit
  • 13 weeks for Council Tax Support.

You'll need to provide proof of all your income and capital for the period you want to claim backdated benefit.

Submit your claim as soon as possible even if you can't provide the required evidence, as this can be submitted later.

Next Steps

We'll consider your request and send you a decision in writing. If you don't agree with the decision you will need to make an appeal in writing.

Details of how to request a revision or make an appeal will be on your notification letter.