The disabled facilities grant is for work around your home.

This includes things like stair-lifts, door-widening, through-floor lifts, special WCs and ramps. The grant is awarded to help adults or children with disabilities live as independently as possible.

Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. Who is eligible?

It is available to owner-occupiers, private tenants and housing association tenants.

You can apply for a disabled facilities grant if you, or someone living in your property, is disabled and:

  • you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, are either the owner of the property or a tenant of a private landlord or housing association
  • you can certify that you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, intends to occupy the property as your/their only or main residence throughout the grant period - currently five years.

A landlord can apply on behalf of a disabled tenant.

2. Initial assessment and financial assessment

The initial assessment is carried out by the Community Occupational Therapy (OT) service either in Children's or Adult Community Services. The OT visits the disabled person and decides what work is needed, then refers the disabled person or their family to the Home Improvement Agency (HIA).

Then an HIA case manager visits the disabled person at home to make a financial assessment and tells them if they will have to contribute to the cost of the work. They also ensure that the family are getting all the right benefits and other services that would be beneficial to them.

You can use our HIA technical service to help organise the work, or you can use your own contractor and architect, and the council will check the scheme to make sure it meets needs.

When you use the HIA, a specification and drawings are prepared. Once agreed by the OT it is sent for quotes on the disabled person’s behalf. Once an acceptable quote is received and the forms are completed, the grant is approved.

3. How much is the grant for?

The amount paid is based on a financial assessment (a 'means test'), of your average weekly income in relation to your outgoings. There is no means testing for families of disabled children under 19.

Capital is included in the means test and will take into account savings above £6,000. Certain benefits including Personal Independence Plan (PIP) and Income Support are generally ignored. If you have a partner, your combined income will be assessed jointly.

The amount of financial assistance offered can vary from nothing to 100% of the cost.

At the moment the maximum grant is £30,000 (less any assessed contribution). In exceptional cases a top-up discretionary Disabled Facilities Grant might be available. Discretionary cases are considered by a panel consisting of officers within Housing, Regeneration and Environment and Adult and Community Services. Your HIA case manager will be able to advise you further.

4. How the disabled facilities grant is worked out

The grant works as follows:

  • if your income is less than your assessed needs you will not normally need to contribute to the cost of the works

  • if your income is more than your assessed needs, a proportion of your income will be used to calculate how much you could contribute towards the cost of the works

  • if the assessed amount is less than the cost of the works, the difference between the two is paid as a Disabled Facilities Grant.

5. Contact Occupational Therapy

Contact the team to arrange a home visit and assessment: