An overpayment is an amount of housing benefit that has been paid to you, which you are not entitled to. This usually happens when your circumstances have changed but you have not told us.

Do it online

This action is completed on another site ( Press the button to go to the start of the process.

What you need to know...

To make repayments online you can follow the link above.

If not, we'll collect the overpayments using the method outlined in the letter we have sent you.

To pay your invoice online you'll need:

  • your invoice number (this is the reference number on your payment bill, invoice or payment documentation)
  • the amount you need to pay.

What is an overpayment?

An overpayment is when you've been paid Housing Benefit which you're not entitled too.

This usually happens when your circumstances have changed but you haven't informed us.

Changes that could result in an overpayment include:

  • an increase in your income or the income of other adults who live with you
  • an increase in capital
  • someone moving into or out of your home.

It's important that you tell us about changes of circumstances straight away.

Informing you of overpayments

You'll be notified of any overpayment in writing, along with how we intend to collect the repayments.

If you disagree with our decision you can ask for it to be reviewed, or appeal against the decision.

Any request for us to do any of the above must be made in writing within one month of the date of the letter telling you about the decision.

Details of how to request a revision or make an appeal are on the letter.

If the overpayments were made directly to your landlord we may recover the overpayment from them.

Help to repay your overpayment

If you're finding it difficult to repay the money you owe contact us as soon as possible - we may be able to come to an alternative arrangement to help you repay.

One Lambeth Advice can also help with budgeting and debt management that could help you repay this and other debts.

Failure to repay

If you do not repay the overpayment we can take you to court.

The court allows us to:

  • collect repayments directly from your wages (attachment of earnings)
  • use bailiffs
  • seek a charging order.

If we need to use the court then costs will be added to the outstanding debt and you'll have to repay these costs as well as the original overpayment.

If the overpayment is a result of fraud, we will usually seek to prosecute.