Streatham Cemetery was opened in 1893 and was was managed by the Metropolitan Borough of Wandsworth until 1965 when it came into Lambeth’s ownership.
It is now maintained as a lawn cemetery although there are still some fine old monuments, two of which can be seen standing near the entrance. There are also musicians, composers, dancers and music hall artistes of the 19th century.
Others made a living on the Thames as stevedores, shore-porters loading and unloading the boats at the docks, or ‘mud larks’, the rivers equivalent of beachcombers. There was a local glass manufacturer with numerous employees, a couple of breweries, a thriving millinery industry, and basically anything that could be done at home to earn a crust.