If your child was born in St Thomas’ Hospital, Kings College Hospital, or elsewhere in Lambeth, you must register the birth as soon as possible with Lambeth Register Office.
If you are a resident of Southwark, you are able to attend Southwark Register Office to register your birth. Visit the Southwark Register Office website to book an appointment.
- You must book an appointment in advance to register a birth.
- If you do not speak or understand English, please bring someone who can translate for you.
Births must be registered within 42 days of a child being born.
Do it online
Please bring your 'Red Book' or any birth paperwork provided by the hospital or midwife.
What you need to know...
Who can register a child's birth?
- If the parents are married to each other or in a civil partnership together, either parent can register.
- If the parents are not married to each other, the father must attend the appointment with the mother if his details are to be included on the registration; if the mother attends alone, no father's details will be recorded.
- If two female parents are not in a marriage or civil partnership together, both must attend the appointment and meet the requirements of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act if the second female details are to be included on the registration; if the mother attends alone, no second female parent details will be recorded.
Details the registrar will need to know
- Place and date of the birth
- Forenames and surname you have chosen for the child
- Sex of the child
- Parents' names, surnames and address (including any former names)
- Places and dates of parents' birth
- Date of parents' marriage or civil partnership (if applicable)
- Parents' occupations
- Mother's maiden surname.
What to bring to the registration
It would also be useful to bring:
- Your passport or birth certificate
- Proof of your current address
- Proof of any former name or names (for example, change of name deed or marriage certificate)
- Birth certificate of any previous children
- Your marriage certificate where applicable
Please note that you are not legally required to produce these documents but if you do they can help to ensure your child's birth is correctly registered.
You are not required to bring your baby to the appointment.
How much does it cost
It is free to register a birth.
A full birth certificate containing the parents' details can be purchased on the day of registration for the cost of £11 each. A full birth certificate will be required during the child's life for many purposes, including applying for passport and child benefit.
To make your day extra special we have a range of unique products on offer:
- Choose from our fabulous selection of silver or gold photo frames to treasure the memories and protect your baby’s new certificate (£9.60 each)
- Sophisticated Lambeth crest folder as a keepsake and to protect your baby’s new certificate (£3.60 each)
- Cute ‘Beth the Lamb’ certificate folder (£3.60 each)
- Elegant scroll holder to protect the certificate or as a gift for a loved one (£9.60 each)
- A colourful range of high quality passport holders to protect your baby's new passport or as a gift for someone. (£9.60 each)
If you are interested in purchasing any of these products please ask at reception on the day of registration