You can change your child's forenames on the original birth certificate if new forenames have been used within 12 months of the date of the birth registration either by baptism or on a certificate of naming.

By baptism

If your child has been baptised in a Christian church within 12 months from the date of registration with forenames that differ from those in the original birth entry, a certificate of name given in Baptism (PDF) should be given to the vicar or minister of the church where the baptism took place for completion and signature.

Certificate of Naming

If your child has not been baptised but you have used different forenames within 12 months of the date of registration, you should complete a certificate of name not given in Baptism (PDF).

The forms can be downloaded and printed. The relevant form must be completed by hand with original signatures and returned to the register office that holds the birth record.

Where more than 12 months have elapsed since the date of registration, you should contact us as you will need to provide documentary evidence to prove the change took place within the 12 months from the date of registration.

How will the new name appear on the birth registration?

The change to the forenames will be entered into the birth register entry. Although the names given to the child at the time of the original registration will still appear, the change will be entered onto the bottom of the register entry to show the new information.

Do we need to attend an appointment to make the change?

No, once we receive the completed form, we will make the change to the original birth registration.

Can we get new certificates with the change of name on it?

Yes, certified copies of the entry can be purchased for a fee. The cost of each certificate will depend on how long after the original registration you are making the change, please contact us and we will advise you.

We are not having our child baptised and we wish to change their name later than 12 months after the original registration. Can we still do this?

Where it is not possible to change the forenames by either of the above methods, you could consider completing a 'deed poll' or a 'change of name deed'. The new name cannot be added or included on the birth register entry but it is a legal way to change a person's name. Further information can be obtained from GOV.UK.