The European passport return service is provided for European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals using the EEA Qualifying Person or EEA Permanent Residence online application forms to apply for permanent residence with the benefit of not having to surrender their passport.
The service became available on 1 October 2016 and is provided by Lambeth Register Office in partnership with the Home Office.
The Lambeth Register Office offers a walk-in service Monday to Friday, 9am to 12 midday. Please note: We are closed the first Wednesday morning of the month. We don't offer appointments for this service.
The service we provide
- photocopy the EEA or Swiss passport and forward a certified copy, along with the checklist and application, to the Home Office on behalf of the customer
- return the passport to the customer which will then be available for use while their application is being processed
- send all the documents to the Home Office by Special Delivery.
The Home Office may contact you for further information after the application that has been submitted. It is important to note using the European passport return service does not guarantee the success of the application
We can't provide:
- advise on the application process
- advise on the progress of a submitted application
- ensure that the form has been correctly completed and correct supporting document submitted.
Costs for this service
A fee of £20 is payable. This does not include postage. We will send all of your documents to the Home Office by Special Delivery. We will weigh your documents and give you the price to pay on the day for postage.
Visit the Post Office price finder website for more information.
Who can use this service
To use this service you must:
- hold a current EEA or Swiss passport
- have completed an online application to the Home Office for a permanent residence document or registration certificate
- be applying as an individual not a family or couple
- be able to attend the office within five working days of making your online application.
You must bring:
- your online application confirmation clearly showing the payment notification number
- a hard copy of the completed application form and any supporting documents. Please note that this is only for forwarding to the Home Office, and will not be checked or photocopied by us. You must ensure you have your own copy of any documents submitted before attending the office. We will only photocopy the passport
- your current EEA or Swiss passport.