If you've discovered an error in a birth or death record, it may be possible to arrange for the entry to be corrected.

Please note:

  • A correction can only be made when the original information is wrong.
  • A correction cannot be used to show new information because circumstances have changed since the registration.

The type of correction required depends on what information needs to be changed. Some errors can be authorised by the register office holding the register; others will require authorisation by the General Register Office.

Applying for a correction

Before you apply, you should contact the Register Office to discuss the error you have found.

You may be asked to complete an application form for the correction and return it to the General Register Office.

The application form and guidance notes can be found on the gov.uk website:

The application form needs to be completed by hand as it requires original signatures.

Proving the registration information is wrong

You need to show that the information given at the time of the registration was wrong. You'll have to produce documents that clearly show what the correct information should have been. These documents should be valid and dated around the date of birth or death. Example documents are given on the application form on the gov.uk website.

If you cannot provide any supporting document, a correction is not usually possible.

How the correction will be show

The original information on the registration will not be removed. The corrected information will be written in the margin of the entry, indicating what the information should have been and the date that it was changed. Certificates issued from that record will also show the note in the margin detailing the correction to the entry.

Costs for this service

A statutory correction application fee of £75 or £90 will be charged for the consideration of a correction to a registration.

If you require any replacement certificates that show the correction note, these cost an additional £11 each.

Who can apply for a correction

Correction to a birth registration:

  • The mother or father (if his details are entered on the registration) would usually apply.
  • If the mother or father aren't available, please contact the Register Office to establish whether anyone else is eligible to apply.

Correction to a death registration:

  • The person who originally registered the death would usually apply.
  • Another person may be qualified with a letter from the original informant. Please contact the Register Office for further information.