Request copies of marriage or civil partnership certificates. We can also help if you want to trace a marriage or civil partnership registered in Lambeth from 1993 to the present day.

If the certificate you are looking for was registered before 1993 then contact the General Register Office.

Do it online

Who can use this service

Anyone can use this service. We only hold information on marriages and civil partnerships registered in Lambeth.

If you do not have the exact details or if you have found a reference from other sources, we suggested you contact The General Register Office (GRO) where the records are held of births, marriages, civil partnerships and deaths registered in England and Wales since 1 July 1837.

Costs for this service

Certificate issued:

  • At the time of registration: £4 each
  • If applying within two months of registration: £7 each for marriage certificate, £10 each for Civil Partnership certificate
  • Archived certificates: £10 each

Options for payment are cash, cheque and all major debit and credit cards except American Express.

Standard Service - Our standard service time is 15 working days. You can apply online for our Standard Service.

Gold Service - If you require your certificates more quickly, we can process them in 3 working days plus delivery time. You can use our gold service by applying in person at the Register Office or ordering online at a cost of £20 on top of the cost of the certificates.

Platinum Service - If the registration happened within the last 12 months, you can also apply in person at the Register Office for our while-you-wait service which costs an extra £30 on top of the cost for certificates.

Please note the Redfern Centre will be closed on the 14th December from 12 noon, the while-you-wait service will not be available on this day

What you need to know...

You will need to tell us the following information:


  • the date and place of the marriage
  • the married couple’s name at the time of the marriage.
  • whether the marriage took place in a Church or the Register Office. If in a church, you will need to state the name of the church.

Civil partnership

  • the date and place of the partnership registration
  • the name of the couple at the time of the registration.

Next Steps

If we can't issue a certificate

We won't be able to issue a copy certificate if we don't hold the record you're looking for or can't trace it from the information you provide.

Please try to provide as much information as possible so that we can try to locate your record.

The initial £10 charge for this service is to locate the certificate. This fee is redeemable against the certificate if it is found. If we are unable to find your certificate you will not receive a refund for the £10 as this covers the cost of our search. We will however refund any express payments, postage, and any additional payments you have made on top of the initial £10 fee for any extra copies of the certificate you may have ordered. If the certificate you are requesting was registered within the past two months, the charge is £7 as we hold these records on site. Please note that the charge for Civil Partnership certificates is £10 regardless of the date of registration.

If possible, we will let you know which Register Office does hold your record.