You will need this licence if you plan to use removable furniture outside your business premises for the sale and consumption of food or drink.

Restarting the high street and supporting businesses in Lambeth is a key objective of the government and the council.

The Business and Planning Act 2020 has made provisions for a new pavement licence to support economic recovery and growth, and fast track some aspects of planning, as the UK recovers from the disruption caused by COVID-19.

These changes are temporary to support businesses while social distancing measures are still in place. Take a look at other ways we are supporting businesses during COVID-19.

The pavement licence will only be available until 30 September 2021 and does not replace the existing tables and chairs licence.

Do it online

Who can use this service

If you run a public house, café, bar, restaurant, snack bar, coffee shop, or ice cream parlour, your business can apply for a pavement licence.

A pavement licence is a temporary measure to allow your business to place removable furniture on the pavement outside your business premises to:

  • sell or serve food or drink
  • be used by people for the consumption of food or drink

Costs for this service

The total cost of this service is £100. It includes the application fee and the pavement licence, and can be paid when you apply online.

The cost is fixed, until the expiry date. There is no reduction in cost based on the length of the licence.

This cost is non refundable.

What you need to know...

Furniture that can be used

All furniture used must be removable and not a permanent fixed structure. It must also be stored away at the end of every evening no later than 10pm.

This furniture can include:

  • counters or stalls - for selling or serving food or drink
  • tables, counters or shelves - on which food or drink can be placed
  • chairs, benches or other forms of seating
  • umbrellas, barriers and other articles used in connection with the outdoor consumption of food or drink

The furniture cannot include gazebos or patio heaters.

Documents you must provide

To apply for your licence you must show us:

  • proof of address: copy of recent utility bill (gas/electricity/water), Council Tax bill, or bank/building society statement, dated within the last 3 months and in the name of the applicant
  • proof of photographic ID: copy of current photo driving licence, passport of the applicant
  • public liability insurance: copy of the section of your insurance document showing your company has public liability cover
  • a sketch or layout of the area you wish to place your tables and chairs or other removable furniture.; please see our guidance and considerations when preparing a sketch for a pavement licence

Terms and conditions

Pavement licence terms and conditions.

Online application queries

For any issues with the form or difficulties applying online, please email

What happens after you apply

Once your applications has been submitted, you must print out and display the consultation notice provided to you after submission of your application.

The application process will take 10 working days, excluding bank holidays. This includes 5 working days for public consultation, and then 5 working days to consider the application after the consultation.

How long the licence lasts

The pavement licence is temporary, lasting a maximum of one year, and will only be available until 30 September 2021.

The fee is fixed and does not depend on the amount of time between when you applied for the licence and its expiry date.

What happens if your application is declined

An application can be rejected because:

  • there is a risk to public health and safety
  • the highway is being obstructed
  • false or misleading statements were provided during application
  • the application did not comply with the requirements to affix a consultation notice

There is no right of appeal if your application is rejected.