You will need this licence if you plan to display goods on the public highway outside your shop.

If you are a business such as a grocer or mini-market, you need permission to use the public highway outside your premises to sell or display goods.

The sale or display of goods/receptacles without the required licence is an offence under section 137 and 149 of the Highways Act 1980 and section 38 of the London Local Authorities Act 1990. It carries a maximum fine of £1,000 upon conviction.

Do it online

Costs for this service

The total cost for this service is calculated as follows:

Your application fee + the cost of your actual licence

The cost of your actual licence depends on the band your business is on. Find out which band your business is in using our road list.

Band Licence fee
Band A £465
Band B £380
Band C £250

Online applications

The application fee for applying for a licence using our online portal is £111, and applications must be submitted before the 1st April each year.

The discounted online application fee recognises the lower administration costs associated with processing the electronic online application rather than a postal application.

Please note: that the fee for the application does not cover the cost of the licence, both fees must be paid in full before a licence can be issued to you.

If you experience any issues processing your online application, please email

Online application queries

For any issues please visit 'report issue on shop front license' below to let us know of any difficulties you are having with applying online. If you have any questions about the online application process or required documents for your application please refer to the 'What you need to know section' before completing a query form

Report issue on shop front license

Terms and conditions

Shop front licences terms and conditions

What you need to know...

What documents do I need to provide?

To apply for your licence you will need to provide us with the following:

  • Proof of address: recent Utility Bill – Gas, Electricity, Water (should be dated within last 3 months), current Council Tax Bill or Bank or Building Society or Statement (should be dated within last 3 months).
  • Public liability insurance: public liability insurance provides cover against claims made by members of the public or clients who have suffered an injury or damage (including their property) in connection to your business.
  • Proof of national insurance: you can find this on your: payslip, your P60 or on letters about your tax, pension or benefits.
  • Proof of premises address
  • A passport sized photo of the person applying for the licence.

I’ve submitted my licence application what happens next?

Following a new licence application we will carry out a site visit. When inspecting a site we will take into account: * street furniture or anything that may cause an obstruction if the licence is granted * how busy the street is * historical existence of trading. Once we have done this, we the consult with: * our Transport and Highways department * Transport for London, if the premises are on a red route and * neighbours who live immediately above or beside the premises

This can take up to 21 days which is why we encourage you to apply for your licence with plenty of time in advance of you needing it.

If you have had a licence before and you’re merely renewing your licence you may not be subject to a site inspection. However, if your renewal request is in any way different to the previous year’s, we will likely arrange for a visit to be carried out before your licence is issued. The Council will routinely check premises to make sure that what is displayed on-street accurately matches what is stated on your licence application.

How long does the licence last?

A licence is temporary and lasts up to a maximum of one year by means of two concurrent licences. Your licence starts on the day your application has been approved, and will finish on 31 March regardless of when the licence was issued. The licence fee is fixed regardless of the amount of time between when you applied for the licence and its expiry date on 31 March. A licence can be withdrawn if valid complaints are received after the licence has been granted, or if you breach the terms and conditions of the licence.

The place where I want to have my shop front goods is on private land, do I still require a licence?

In short.. Yes. Section 21 of the London Local Authorities Act 1990 defines a "street" for the purposes of licensing amenities on the public highway. For further information please contact us on 020 7926 9000 If you feel that your goods are located on land which you consider to be private property, legal documentation supporting this must be submitted.