Licence you will need if you plan to use tables and chairs outside your business

If you are a business such as a restaurant, bar or café, under the London Local Authorities Act 1990 you need permission to place tables and chairs on the public highway.

Do it online

Costs for this service

You will need to pay an application fee of £111. The total cost of a table and chairs licence is based on the number of hours you open each day, the number of chairs you would like to put out and the band your business is in plus the application fee. Please use the table below to work out the total fee you will need to pay.

No of Chairs Business hours Band A Band B Band C
1 to 11 Before 7pm £50 £35 £24.50
12 and over Before 7pm £40 £15 £5.60
1 to 11 After 7pm £16.50 £9.75 £5.75
12 and over After 7pm £22 £14.15 £9.00

Find out which band your business is in using our road list.

What you need to know...

What do we take into account before issuing a licence?
Following a licence application we will carry out a site visit. When inspecting a site we will take into account:

  • street furniture or anything that may cause an obstruction if the licence is granted
  • how busy the street is
  • historical existence of trading.

We will consult with:

  • our Transport and Highways department
  • Transport for London, if the premises are on a red route and
  • neighbours who live immediately above or beside the premises

How long does the licence last?
A licence is temporary lasting a maximum of one year. The year starts on 1 April and finishes on 31 March regardless of when the licence was issued.

The licence fee is fixed regardless of the amount of time between when you applied for the licence and its expiry date on 31 March.

A licence can be withdrawn if valid complaints are received after the licence has been granted, or if you breach the terms and conditions of the licence.

If you are using private land
Section 21 of the London Local Authorities Act 1990 defines a "street" for the purposes of licensing amenities on the public highway. For further information please contact us on 020 7926 9000

If you feel that your tables and chairs or goods are located on land which you consider to be private property, legal documentation supporting this must be submitted.

The placing of tables and chairs, or the sale or display of goods/receptacles without the required licence is an offence under section 137 and 149 of the Highways Act 1980 and section 38 of the London Local Authorities Act 1990. It carries a maximum fine of £1,000 upon conviction.

Next Steps