The premises licence holder may apply to vary some aspects of their licence. A minor variation is a smaller change for example a change in opening hours or premises layout.

Do it online

Costs for this service

There's a £89.00 fee.

You'll need a debit or credit card.

Payment options

If you complete your application online, you will be directed to the online payment portal.

If you complete a paper application you have these payment options:

When you are on the payment portal, choose 'premises licensing' on the left. You will need to attach a payment receipt to your application and submit your documents to the Lambeth Licensing department. We will not accept applications without this proof of payment.

Kiosk payments can be made by cash, cheque, credit card or debit card.

What you need to know...

Give full details of all the proposed variations - if you do not give enough information we may refuse your application. Details should include a description of the proposed variations in terms as precise as possible.

Minor variations should not have any negative impact on our four licensing objectives:

  • preventing crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • preventing public nuisance
  • protecting children from harm

You cannot use a minor variation to:

  • extend the period of your licence or certificate
  • transfer the licence or certificate from one premises to another
  • specify, in a premises licence, an individual as the premises supervisor
  • add the sale by retail or supply of alcohol as an activity authorised by a licence or certificate
  • authorise the sale by retail or supply of alcohol at any time between 11pm and 7am
  • authorise an increase in the amount of time on any day during which alcohol may be sold by retail or supplied
  • include the alternative licence condition referred to in section 41D(3) in a premises licence

You do not need to apply for a minor variation if you are changing your premises name or address. Apply to change name or address of your premises.

You can use a minor variation to:

  • remove conditions which are out of date or invalid and to revise conditions which are unclear (as long as the intention and effect remains the same)
  • add a new condition volunteered by the applicant or mutually agreed between the applicant and a responsible authority, such as the police or the environmental health authority (depending on impact on the licensing objectives)
  • make a change to opening hours or licensing hours
  • Make a change to licensable activities
  • make a change to premises or club layout

Publicise your application

As part of the application process, you must publicise your application by displaying a statutory notice at or near the premises, for at least 10 working days.

There is no requirement to place a public notice within a local newspaper for minor variations. However, if your application is refused and you subsequently apply for a full variation, a newspaper notice will form part of the requirements for that application.

Download a statutory notice template. This must be printed and displayed on white paper.

Next Steps

Hardcopy Applications - You'll need a debit or credit card, payment must be made using our new payment system. You will need to attach a payment receipt to the application (as proof of payment) and submit the documents to the Lambeth Licensing department. Hardcopy applications made without this proof of payment will not be accepted.

Online Applications - You'll need a debit or credit card and payment will be made on the external page you complete your application form on.