A Club Premises Certificate is a specific type of licence, available only to members clubs.

A certificate can authorise a club to carry on a combination of the following activities:

  • the supply of alcohol by the club to club members
  • the sale of alcohol by the club to guests of members
  • the provision of regulated entertainment (including plays, films, certain types of sports, music and dancing)
  • the provision of entertainment facilities.

Club Premises Certificates offer several benefits to clubs over a Premises Licences, including the absence of a requirement to specify a designated premises supervisor. Certificates are also exempt from some of the immediate closure powers available to the police.

Club Premises Certificates only allow activities to be carried on for club members and their guests - they cannot be used for events which are open to the general public, nor for the hire of the club facilities to non-members for private functions. If the club wishes to run such events, either a Apply for a temporary event notice (for one-off events) or a Premises licence (for regular events) must be held.

Contact us

3rd Floor, Civic Centre
6 Brixton Hill
London SW2 1EG
Tel: 020 7926 6108

Telephone: 020 7926 6108
Email: licensing@lambeth.gov.uk

To come in person please make an appointment

Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. Qualifying clubs

A club wishing to hold a Club Premises Certificate must satisfy a number of criteria, set out within the legislation. These criteria include the following:

  • The club must have a formal membership system, with a period of at least 2 days between nomination/application for membership and admission as a member
  • The club must have at least 25 members
  • The club must be established and conducted 'in good faith as a club'.

Further criteria apply if the club wishes to supply alcohol:

  • Alcohol is to be supplied on the club's premises by (or on behalf of) the club only
  • The club must have an elected committee to oversee the purchase of alcohol, made up of adult members of the club
  • No individual is to receive any benefit from making arrangements for the supply of alcohol on behalf of the club, unless the benefit is to the club as a whole.

Miners institutes, friendly societies and industrial and provident societies may be subject to different conditions to those set out above - please contact us for further information.

When assessing whether a club is conducted in good faith, a number of matters will be considered, including details of how the club purchases alcohol, shares information about its finances with its members, and controls its property and money.

These criteria will first be assessed during the initial application period, and then at regular intervals after a certificate has been granted, to ensure that the club continues to meet the requirements. The licensing authority has the power to withdraw a certificate if a club fails to meet all of the criteria.

2. Application process

An applicant will always be required to give notice of their application to one or more 'responsible authorities' (statutory bodies including the Police, Fire Service, Environmental Health and Trading Standards). For applications for new licences or variations of existing licences, applicants will also be required to advertise the application, both at the premises and in a local newspaper, to alert local residents and businesses.

From when an application is made for a new licence, or to vary or review an existing licence, there is a 28-day period during which any representations in respect of the application may be made. Representations may support or oppose the application.

The licensing authority will usually be able to confirm whether an application has been granted shortly after the end of this period. However, in situations where an objection has been made, the application will usually be referred to a Sub-Committee hearing to be decided.

Any licence granted may be subject to a number of conditions, including:

  • mandatory conditions, which are set out within the legislation, and apply if the licence allows the supply of alcohol or exhibition of films, or if security staff are employed at the premises
  • conditions consistent with any special measures set out in the application form
  • any further conditions imposed by the Sub-Committee following a hearing.

Public register

We are required to maintain a public register giving details of the Premises Licences that we have issued. These details can be viewed at our offices at International House between 9am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday by appointment only. Please call 020 7926 6108.


Application fees are dependent upon the non-domestic rateable value of the premises. This value, which is also used to calculate business rates, can be found through the VOA search engine. Premises that do not have a rateable value (such as schools, church halls, open spaces or residential properties) automatically fall into the lowest fee band.

4. Duration

Most Club Premises Certificates will have an unlimited duration, and will not be subject to a periodic renewal process. Instead, an annual fee is payable every year, on the anniversary of the grant of the certificate. An invoice will be sent to the club secretary at the appropriate time.

A Certificate will only cease to have effect if it is surrendered by the club, revoked by the licensing authority following a review application, or withdrawn as a result of the club failing to satisfy the qualifying criteria.