We are responsible for the registration of premises used by food businesses, and can advise on other types of licences required.

Coronavirus: The government has introduced new rules which allow pubs, restaurants and cafes to operate temporarily as takeaways. Find out more on our information for businesses page.

Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. Registration of premises used for food business

You must register premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) with us.

Registration allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in the borough so we can visit them when we need to. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

Changes to food premises

2. Approval of premises handling food of animal origin

If you operate food premises that handle food of animal origin for onward supply to another business, you may need to be approved by your local authority.

Changes to approval

Ask team for a bit of intro text about when people should use this approval

3. Food related licences

Certain types of food businesses will require licences in addition to being registered with us.

Late night refreshment (night cafés)

Any business selling hot food or drinks between 11pm and 5am must be licensed to do so under the Licensing Act 2003. (link to new licensing content on the site)

Street café licence

If you wish to provide tables, chairs or other amenities, or display and sell goods on a public highway, you will need to hold either tables and chairs (amenities) licences or temporary shop front licences.