Do it online
Parents and carers can self-refer onto the parenting support programmes or be referred by a professional or organisation they work with.
What you need to know...
There are a range of free courses available to support parents at different times in their children’s lives. The courses are tried and tested and we know that they make a difference.
Courses cover areas including:
- identifying when parenting is difficult
- understanding your child’s behaviour
- improving relationships within families
- age appropriate strategies for changing behaviour.
Some courses are run as short workshops to tackle a particular challenge, while others may run over a period of 8-12 weeks. Most support is group-based but we recognise that for some parents, one-to-one support might better meet your needs.
All the courses available are run by people who are trained to provide parenting support. Courses are held in various places, like schools and children’s centres across the borough. Some are supported by creches for younger children.
Courses are fully inclusive and open to everyone with parenting responsibility. They provide a great opportunity to meet other parents and carers and share experiences and ideas in a supportive environment.
Courses currently available include:
- Strengthening Families, Strengthening Communities
- Triple P – Positive Parenting Programmes which include both courses and workshops
- Triple P – Stepping Stones, which is specially designed for parents of children with special educational needs and disabilities
- Empowering Parents, Empowering Communities Programmes – including courses such as Baby and Us, Being a Parent and Living with Teenagers. EPEC courses are delivered by trained parent facilitators who understand what it means to be a parent locally.
The courses available may change periodically, so if you’d like some support, please make a referral for parenting support and we’ll be in touch to discuss available options with you.
Building Relationships for Stronger Families
Lambeth Parenting Service is also working in partnership with Tavistock Relationships, the Department for Work and Pensions, and Westminster Council to offer the Building Relationships for Stronger Families programme.
This programme aims to provide support for parents who feel that stress and conflict in their relationship is affecting their family. The programme offers parents support to address conflict within their relationship, as well as strengthening their parenting skills to bring up their children.
Support takes the form of one-to-one or group sessions delivered by experienced facilitators who are skilled in encouraging discussion around the modern struggles that parents face.
During the programme, you’ll work on your relationship, whether you are together or separate. You’ll find ways to manage stress and disagreements, explore patterns of behaviour, and learn tools and techniques to improve your parenting skills and help your family succeed.
This programme is externally funded and eligibility criteria and referral processes have been determined externally to Lambeth Council.
If you’re a parent who is interested in finding out more, or a practitioner who would like to access support for a parent you’re working with, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.