Civil partners have the choice of a simple conversion or a conversion with a renewal of vows ceremony. The civil partnership must have been registered in England and Wales or overseas in consulate or armed forces base, where the civil partnership was registered according to the laws of England and Wales.
All existing civil partners wishing to convert to a marriage, will have to pay a fee of £45 for a conversion, plus £11 for each certificate.
For a simple conversion, you'll need to:
- book an appointment, and both individuals must attend in person at the register office
- to provide proof of identity and current address and your current civil partnership registration certificate.
You'll also have to sign a declaration to confirm:
- you haven't dissolved your civil partnership
- both of you wish to convert your civil partnership.
The declaration must be signed at the register office.
Conversion and ceremony
To convert your civil partnership with a ceremony, you'll need to:
- book an appointment, in person at a register office, and both individuals must attend in person
- provide proof of identity and your current address and civil partnership registration certificate.
The declaration will be signed, on a separate occasion, at an approved venue or religious building which has been registered for marriages of same sex.
A member of staff (superintendent or deputy registrar) from the Register Office will be required to attend the ceremony. The conversion will be registered with the Register Office and a marriage certificate issued.
If you're having a ceremony, you will need to pay ceremony fees plus the conversion fee of £45. There will be a fee of £11 for each certificate.
To book an appointment please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.
You'll need to provide the following information:
- first name and surname of the couples
- when and where you registered your civil partnership
- an email address
- a contact number
- if possible, indicate your preferred option of a conversion or conversion and ceremony.
We aim to get back in contact with you within five working days to arrange an appointment.