Choosing and applying to a school for a child with an EHCP

Use this guide to help you when choosing and applying to a school for a child with an EHCP

Most children and young people with special educational needs or a disability (SEND) will attend a mainstream school.

However, some children may benefit from a more specialist setting, either in a specialist resource base in a mainstream school, or a special school.

If a child or young person needs a more specialist setting, they will need to have an education, health and care plan (EHCP) or a statement of special educational need.

The assessment for the EHCP will include consideration of the most suitable Lambeth special school or resource base for them.

If a child or young person’s needs cannot be met in Lambeth, we may seek a placement in provision in another borough or in a school on the Secretary of State’s approved list

Read our guide to specialist education provision in Lambeth.

Specialist education provision in Lambeth (PDF, 5.28MB)