We will try to help with any unreasonable noise issues (antisocial behaviour) to make sure it reduces the impact it has on the quality of people's lives.

Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. Noise problems we investigate

We investigate complaints about excessive and intrusive noise from:

  • loud music, TV or radio
  • parties or other entertainment
  • pubs, clubs and entertainment venues
  • building and DIY work at unreasonable times of the day
  • constant dog barking
  • car and burglar alarms.

Noisy building and DIY work can take place within these hours:

  • Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
  • Saturday 8am to 1pm

We do not deal with noise problems caused by ordinary domestic activities in residential properties or where properties have poor sound insulation.

2. Enforcement

For more information on reporting noise nuisance, which explains our criteria in more detail and provides other information on how to resolve noise issues please download our guide

Read our guide to reporting noise nuisance

3. What other action can you take

In some circumstances we may be unable to get sufficient evidence to take action on behalf of an individual who has made a complaint.

You can take independent action by complaining directly to the Magistrates' Court under section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Download our guide on how to take legal action: