As part of an on-going borough wide review of all conservation areas in Lambeth, we have now carried out a comprehensive review of the Vauxhall area.
Conservation Area Statements for the Albert Embankment and Vauxhall Conservation Areas have been drafted and as part of this process we are considering changes to the conservation area boundaries.
The conservation area statements which cover the Albert Embankment and Vauxhall Conservation Areas, provide information on what makes each conservation area special, offers guidance for people wishing to make changes to their property and contains proposals for the future management of each area.
Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest which have been designated by the council in order that their character and appearance can be preserved or enhanced.
Statement documents are produced so that we can properly understand what makes the area special. Property owners, building managers and their agents will be able to use the document when they are formulating proposals affecting the conservation area and the document will also help inform planning decisions.
We would like to hear your views on the draft conservation area statements and the proposed boundary changes.
1. Albert Embankment Conservation Area
Extensions are proposed to the northern, southern and eastern boundaries to include:
- The section of the Albert Embankment from Lambeth Bridge to Westminster Bridge including the St Thomas’s Hospital site and the new riverside walk to the south.
- The landmark 20th century building fronting the river Camelford House, Tintagel House and Peninsula Heights.
- The 19th century buildings located in Glasshouse Walk, Worgan Street, Tinworth Street and Black Prince Road.
- The Railway Viaduct from Vauxhall Cross to Old Paradise Street.
2. Vauxhall Conservation Area
Extensions are proposed to the north western and south eastern conservation boundaries to include:
- The 19th century residential and commercial buildings along Bondway, Meadow Road, South Lambeth Place, South Lambeth Road and Wyvil Road
- The former vinegar works Regents Bridge Gardens
- The Royal Vauxhall Tavern
- The Railway Viaduct and Station
- The Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens
- St Anne’s Catholic Settlement Harleyford Road.