In response to feedback to the Culture 2020 consultation that took place earlier this year we are considering changes to our proposals for Durning Library and Tate South Lambeth Library. We would like to hear your views on the new proposals.
A rapidly growing population in North Lambeth means the council still aims to open a new purpose built library facility in the north of the borough by 2022. A temporary North Lambeth town centre facility would stay open until the new facility is ready.
We originally proposed that the Tate South Lambeth Library would become this temporary town centre library. We also proposed the withdrawal of all council funding from the Durning Library and asked for proposals from independent organisations for using the building differently. We were clear that if no alternatives were identified during the Culture 2020 consultation then the Durning Library was at risk of closure.
We have now had opportunity to reflect on the consultation feedback and are considering changes to what we originally proposed. We would like to hear your views before taking a final decision.
The new proposals are as follows:
1. Durning Library building:
- becomes the temporary town centre library for North Lambeth until the new facility is open
- continues to receive revenue funding while it is the temporary town centre library
- increases opening times from 39 to 54 hours per week
- £800,000 investment to improve accessibility and facilities for temporary library and increase possibilities for longer term future of the building
2. Tate South Lambeth Library building:
- undergoes building works during 2016 to become a healthy living centre
- includes health and wellbeing activities, alongside a limited library service and other community services
- extends its opening to 70 hours per week
- the building will be managed by Greenwich Leisure Ltd and the neighbourhood library service will be managed by Lambeth Council
FAQs relating to this consultation can be found at on our Culture 2020 information page
What will happen after the consultation?
The council will consider the feedback and the Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods will make a final decision.
All information you give us is confidential and will only be used in relation to this consultation.