Berkeley, in cooperation with Lambeth Council, is developing a draft Masterplan for the Oval and Kennington Development Area (OAKDA). This covers the Oval Gas Works and 16 surrounding parcels of land.
We have been consulting with the local community since January 2015 to understand your vision and aspirations for the area. After a series of workshops, 1:1 meetings and feedback sessions, we have created a first draft of the Masterplan for your review.
Why a Masterplan?
A Masterplan is:
- A pro-active way to investigate and bring about change.
- Recognised as best practice to create sustainable and well-designed places.
- A flexible tool to develop a spatial plan for an area.
- An investigation of national, regional and local planning policy and its impact on an area.
- A practical way to test what should become a reality on the ground.
The purpose of the draft OAKDA Masterplan is to: * Investigate if the Key Industry and Business Area (KIBA) planning policy designation should be removed. * Analyse how the area may change and be developed over time. * Deliver proposals that meet local, and broader, aspirations and needs.
The draft Masterplan is not a planning application. If endorsed, it will provide a framework for consideration of future planning applications.
What are the draft Masterplan proposals?
The draft Masterplan proposes a sustainable high quality mixed use development, providing jobs, homes and public space that will enhance the local area.
The key points of the Masterplan are:
- Around 1,250 high quality new homes.
- Potential to support up to 1,430 jobs.
- Almost 1 hectare (2.5 acres) of new public realm created.
- Gas Holder Place’ – a new public square.
- Landmark Gas Holder retained.
- Pedestrian route through the Gas Holder.
- ‘The Lime Grove’ – a new public green space.
- Foodstore (same size as existing) below apartments and a private first floor courtyard.
- Retail proposed along Kennington Lane and Cutler’s Way to support Kennington Cross and Vauxhall.
- All surrounding existing streetscapes enhanced.
- Connections made to The Foundry and Beefeater Gin Distillery along Phoenix Street.
- Cutler’s Way provides a new north-south route.
- Vauxhall Street provides a ‘Cycle Quietway’.
- Pedestrian priority across the Masterplan area.
- Existing substation enhanced.
- Internal private courtyards are located within each development block.
- Private courtyards enhance the boundaries with neighbouring properties.
- No change to Beefeater Gin Distillery.
- No change to 261-321 Kennington Lane – Grade II Listed Buildings.
- No through traffic on Montford Place – current road closure retained.
- Commercial activity to the north of the site and residential to the south to complement existing surrounding land uses.
Where to view the proposals
- Go online: www.oakda.co.uk
- Visit: Durning Library, 167 Kenning Lane SE11 4HF. A display and all consultation material is available during normal opening hours.
Talk about the proposals
- Drop-in sessions: visit us at Durning Library on Monday’s 4.00 till 6.00pm and Thursday’s 11.00am till 1.00pm throughout the consultation period.
- Presentation evenings: come along to Kia Oval, Kennington, SE11 5SS (enter via the Alec Stuart Gate) at 6.30-8.30pm on:
- Monday 9 November
- Wednesday 18 November
- Tuesday 1 December
- Call us: 020 8786 6130 (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
How to respondThis consultation ended on Wednesday 16 December 2015 and is now closed for responses.
|Draft Oval and Kennington Development Area Masterplan||13.11 MB|