We want your view on our vision for Clapham High Street and the surrounding area.
We have been working with the Clapham Business Improvement District (BID), Transport for London (TfL) and the Clapham Society to develop a series of concept designs for important locations across the Clapham town centre area.
We now want to consult with local people on these initial ideas and get your feedback.
About the BID
"This is Clapham" is a Business Improvement District that represents 355 businesses in Clapham. It raises funds through the BID levy and spends it on priority projects from additional street cleaning and a warden service through to free business recycling and place marketing.
A key priority for the BID is to enhance the public realm in Clapham to match improvements in Old Town and Venn Street.
This is Clapham is delivering its own programme of public realm improvements and welcomes the opportunity to work with TfL and Lambeth Council to create a series of design concepts we hope will lead to future investment.
Chair of This is Clapham
About the designs
We have been working together for a couple of months to identify key locations in the area where potential improvements could be made. Our concept designs aim to improve the public realm in Clapham, with an enhanced environment and stronger community.
Making the town centre area a better place for people to live, work, travel and shop in, not only for those living in the area but also people visiting and travelling through.
The proposals include
- Upgrading paving materials throughout the area to Yorkstone paving and where possible providing a continuous footway at side junctions
- Increased greening, by planting an avenue of trees along the high street continuing up to Clapham North Underground with additional planting along side roads.
- Removal of street clutter and dated street furniture throughout the area. Replacing and reallocating street furniture where necessary
- Enhancements to Voltaire Road, by providing a tree lined stone sett one-way carriageway, flush with a broad adjoining paved area. This will provide an attractive environment for outdoor eating and to foster street life and activity
- A loading bay will be provided on Voltaire Road, however some current parking will be reallocated further south along Voltaire Road or on Gauden Road to ensure no overall loss of parking
- Improvements along Clapham Manor Street by reallocating parking spaces to the southern side of the street, providing the opportunity to widen the footway. Where parking is reallocated we aim to ensure there will be no overall net loss of parking spaces
- Creating a shared surface 'mews' type street surfaced in yorkstone sets along Nelsons Row
What happens next
At the end of the consultation we will analyse the feedback received and may make changes to the designs. As a result of feedback, designs which are well supported will be prioritised.
We currently have only a small amount to funding to build finalised designs but the priority projects will form the basis of our fundraising efforts. A similar approach in Brixton town centre resulted in over £1 million being raised to deliver projects in the Brixton public realm study.
At this stage we hope that we can gauge the aspirations of local community, with the view to make Clapham town area an improved public space and quality of environment.
Further consultation on the finalised designs will need to take place before any work starts. Residents and businesses will be formally consulted with for any changes to parking and loading bays.
How to respondThis consultation ended on Sunday 20 November 2016 and is now closed for responses.
|Voltaire Road design board||1.91 MB|
|Voltaire Road visual board||1.61 MB|
|Clapham High Street greening design board||1.78 MB|
|Nelson's Row and Clapham South gateway design board||1.49 MB|
|Clapham North gateway design bpard||1.79 MB|
|Precedents shaping future proposals||1.83 MB|
|Clapham Park Road and Manor Street design board||1.88 MB|