A full Council Tax bill is based on at least two adults living in the property. Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to claim an exemption or discount or to reduce your Council Tax bill.

If you are experiencing financial hardship due to the coronavirus, you can apply for Council Tax Support online or contact the support team to discuss payment options.

This page has a new design - give your feedback to help us improve it.

You may be eligible to pay less Council Tax if:

  • only one adult lives in the property
  • people who are disregarded from Council Tax liability are living in the property
  • people with disabilities have had alterations made to the property to meet their needs
  • the property is an annex of another property
  • you live in the property as a condition of employment.
Open all

Single Person Discount

If you're the only person over 18 in your home, you may be entitled to claim a 25 per cent reduction on your Council Tax bill.

Apply for Single Person Discount

Please note that after you’ve applied for the discount, you must still pay the amount on your Council Tax bill until you hear from us. If we don't give you the discount and you think we should have, you can appeal by filling in our contact us enquiry form. We'll check every year that you're still entitled to the discount and we may cancel your discount if you don't reply when we contact you. For audit purposes, we check all discounts with third party credit reference agencies.

You must cancel your single person discount online if you no longer qualify for the reduction.

Cancel my Single Person Discount

Before you start you’ll need:

  • your council tax account number
  • the date you want to cancel your discount from
  • the previous address of the person who has moved in.

You may have to pay a fine if you don’t tell us you're no longer entitled the discount.

Student Discount

Apply for a student discount or exemption from Council Tax if you’re a full-time student or one or more students live in your home. Full time students are not required to pay council tax if they live in a property entirely occupied by students. If you live in a student hall provided by your university or college then you don't need to apply. Discounts may apply to properties with a mixture of students and non-students.

Apply for Student Discount

Other types of reduction

Open all