As a homeowner, your lease defines who has responsibility for different sorts of repairs.

Sections in this guide (click title to view)

1. Your responsibilities

As a homeowner you are responsible for maintaining the inside of your flat.

This includes:

  • the floor surfaces, including floorboards
  • the ceiling plaster or plasterboard
  • the plaster or plasterboard of the walls
  • glass in windows, but not the window frames
  • all doors and door frames inside the flat and the front door to it
  • pipes, wires and cables that serve your flat only, including any protection surrounding them
  • decorations inside your flat
  • all fixtures and fittings including plumbing and sanitary apparatus, such as sinks, baths and toilets
  • electrical and gas appliances.

You are also responsible for:

  • annual safety checks of gas appliances
  • dealing with any instances of asbestos in your home.

You have access to the gas servicing contract we have with our contractors. If you wish to have the gas installation and appliances in your home tested or serviced you will need to contact the contractor for your area to arrange this and pay them directly for the service.

2. Our repair responsibility

As thee freeholder we must repair and maintain the:

  • the structural parts of your flat
  • communal areas and structure of the building including their renewal any services provided there.

In your flat this will cover:

  • the window frames
  • concrete floors
  • structural walls
  • pipework, wires and cables that run through your flat to other parts of the building.

In your building this will cover:

  • shared staircases, corridors and balconies
  • door-entry systems
  • lifts
  • the roof space
  • roofs
  • main timbers and joists
  • concrete floors
  • foundations
  • window frames (shared and individual)
  • outside walls or dividing walls
  • shared wiring, cabling and pipework
  • district heating systems.

Under the lease, you must pay a share of our expenses in repairing, maintaining and renewing these items.

Properties on estates

If your property is on an estate, we are responsible for repairing, renewing, maintaining, replacing and providing services to:

  • roads
  • pathways
  • shared landscaped areas
  • play areas on the estate.

We are also responsible for the:

  • underground cables
  • wires
  • pipes that supply gas, electricity and water to the estate.

Under the lease, you must pay a share of our expenses in repairing, renewing, replacing and maintaining these areas.

3. Asbestos advice for homeowners

As a homeowners you are responsible for repairing and maintaining your property, including any materials that may contain asbestos. Specialist laboratories can test suspect materials to confirm whether or not they contain asbestos.

You are responsible for the safe removal and consignment of asbestos materials to a licensed waste tip by your removal contractor.

Please ensure that you obtain a copy of the waste consignment note from your removal contractor as proof of safe disposal of hazardous waste for your own records. Failure of safe disposal of hazardous waste will incur a minimum fine of £5,000.

If you suspect that materials containing asbestos are present or damaged contact a specialist laboratory contractor who is licensed (accredited) to test suspect materials to confirm whether or not they contain asbestos.

United Kingdom Accreditation Society (UKAS)
21-47 High Street
TW13 4UN

Phone: 020 8917 8400

If you want to have asbestos material repaired or removed, you can obtain details of local licensed asbestos removal contractors from:

Asbestos Removal Contractors Association (ARCA)
Unit 1 Stretton Business Park 2
Brunel Drive
Burton upon Trent
DE13 0BY

Phone: 01283 566467

4. Freehold properties

If your home is a freehold property, you’ll be responsible for repairs to the structure of your home. Your freehold transfer might include special provisions for any structures shared with neighbouring properties, such as roofs or party walls. Please make sure that you are aware of what your transfer says.

If you pay estate service charges because your freehold property is located on an estate, you can still contact us about repairs which might need to be carried out to communal areas of the estate.