If you're an existing Lambeth Housing tenant, you can apply for a joint tenancy, where two people are jointly responsible for the tenancy.

Do it online

Who can use this service

This form is for Lambeth Housing tenants only.

To apply for a joint tenancy, the current sole tenant must fill in this form.

You can apply for a joint tenancy if:

  • you have a secure tenancy
  • you haven't succeeded or been assigned a tenancy from someone else
  • the proposed new tenant is your spouse, civil partner or cohabiting partner.

If the new tenant is your cohabiting partner, they must have lived with you for 12 continuous months before you can apply.

What you need to know...

Before you apply

If you haven't already done so, you should read our guide to joint tenancies.

Having a joint tenancy means that both tenants are jointly responsible for paying the rent and keeping to the other terms of the tenancy agreement.

If one joint tenant doesn’t pay their share of something then the other joint tenant is still responsible for the debt. The same applies if any other tenancy conditions are broken.

When you apply

To apply for a joint tenacy you'll need to do two things:

  • fill in an online form to notify us of your intent to share your tenancy
  • visit your local area housing office with the required evidence.

Evidence required

When you go to your area housing office, you'll need to bring with you the

The incoming tenant should provide you with all relevant documents listed below to upload with your application:

  • one form of photo ID - this can be their passport, driver's license or EU identity card
  • benefits entitlement letter
  • child benefit or child tax credit entitlement letter
  • full birth certificate
  • Home Office document
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • a current council tax bill showing the full amount is being paid
  • an electoral registration letter, canvas form or polling card - dated in the last year
  • GP or hospital letters
  • NHS medical card.

You'll also need to provide a passport style photo of the incoming tenant - this can be uploaded to your form and taken with a smartphone or digital camera.

Cohabiting and unmarried partners

You'll need to prove that you're in a relationship with the incoming tenant and that they've lived with you for at least 12 months.

To prove your relationship, you can use documents addressed to the both of you or any other reasonable means such as photos of the two of you.

It's down to you to prove that the proposed new tenant is your partner and lives with you.

To show they've lived with you for 12 months, you can use:

  • utility bills in their name (mobile phone bills won't be accepted)
  • their payslips - covering the last 12 months
  • their P60.

You'll only need to provide six copies of utility bills and payslips to cover the 12 month period.

For example, if the 12 month period is from March 2017 to February 2018, you should provide your payslips for March 2017 and February 2018 and four months in between.

Next Steps

A decision will be given in writing and we hold the right to review each application for a joint tenancy by a senior officer.

Decisions will be based on the information and evidence provided by the person making the request and any investigations we make.

If further time is needed for investigations to take place, a target timescale will be set and we’ll let you know what this is.