A lodger is someone who lives with you in your home, pays you money for this, and does not have exclusive use of any rooms. As a council tenant, you can usually take in a lodger if you have the space in your home.

Do it online

Who can use this service

This form is for Lambeth Housing tenants only.

What you need to know...

You may allow anyone to lodge in your home, as long as you first get our written permission.

We would usually only refuse permission if having a lodger would result in your home being overcrowded.

A lodger can't be included on your tenancy agreement but having one may affect your Housing Benefit entitlements.

If you want to take in a lodger, you need to:

Next Steps

We aim to get back to you within 10 working days.

We'll need to check the number of bedrooms you have the size of the rooms. We'll also check who is recorded as living with you to ensure your home won't become overcrowded by having a lodger.

The process may be delayed if we don't have up to date details of who lives in your home.