The benefits of Direct Debit are that it's:
- simple - you provide us with your details and your bank sets up the Direct Debit rent payments - no more queuing or rent swipe cards.
- convenient - you can choose the 6th, 16th or 26th day of the month for payment.
- safe - the Direct Debit guarantee will fully protect your payments.
- efficient for you and us - the money we save we use to improve services.
You will be given at least ten days' notice if any changes are made and you will be able to cancel your Direct Debit at any time.
The Direct Debit guarantee
If you choose to pay by rent by Direct Debit your payments will all be protected by the Direct Debit guarantee.
This guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that take part in the Direct Debit scheme. Your own bank or building society monitors the efficiency and security of the Direct Debit scheme.
Your Direct Debit rent payments will be paid to the London Borough of Lambeth and the Direct Debit guarantee promises as follows:
- If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change the London Borough of Lambeth will notify you ten working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed.
- If an error is made by us or your bank or building society you will receive a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by contacting your bank or building society.
How we calculate your Direct Debit rent payments
We divide the total annual rent by 12 to calculate a monthly payment amount.
- As there are more than four weeks in some months the rent payments will be more than four times your weekly rent
- The Direct Debit payments do not include any outstanding balance you have already agreed to pay, for example, any rent owed for the period up to the first Direct Debit payment. You should continue to pay any outstanding balance by the agreed payment method.
- If you have arrears on your rent account your income officer will agree with you how much you should pay each month and we can set up a Direct Debit payment to pay any additional amounts owing.
- When we set up your Direct Debit we will send you a confirmation letter with a copy of the Direct Debit guarantee. We will let you know the amount to be debited at least ten working days in advance.
- You should continue to make payments as shown on your rent statement until you receive the Direct Debit confirmation letter. If you have been paying by standing order please contact your bank to cancel your standing order as soon as you receive the Direct Debit confirmation letter.