What to do if a family member or friend dies whilst they’re a council tenant.

Do it online

Who can use this service

Use this form to tell us a Lambeth Housing tenant has died.

If you or anyone else lived with the tenant and meet certain criteria, you can report their death and apply to succeed their tenancy.

Joint tenants

If you're a joint tenant and the other joint tenant has died, you can use this form to tell us about their death and that you want to keep or end the tenancy.

Who can end the tenancy

You’re the executor or administrator

If you want to legally end the tenancy, you’ll need to be either:

  • the executor of the tenant’s estate: this means you’ve been named in the will as the person who’ll deal with the tenant’s estate after they’ve died
  • an administrator: this means that you've applied to the Probate Registry and got a Letter of Administration (sometimes called Grant of Probate)

You'll need to give four weeks’ notice to end the tenancy.

The notice always starts on a Monday. If you give notice on a Monday before 12noon, the notice period will start on that day. If it’s after 12noon, the notice period will start the following Monday.

You’re not the executor

If you’re not the executor of the estate, it doesn’t matter. We’ll end the tenancy for you. You just need to fill in the form and let us do the rest.

We’ll serve a Notice to Quit on the Public Trustee to end the tenancy. This will bring the tenancy to an end four weeks after it’s served.

What you need to know...

You’ll need some information and documents to hand before you fill in the form.

You’ll need:

  • details of anyone who’s currently living at the property - their name, date of birth and relationship to the deceased tenant.
  • the Tell Us Once reference number.

If you haven't used the Tell Us Once service you'll need to upload a copy of the death certificate - this can be scanned or a photo taken with a smartphone or digital camera.

If you're the administrator or executor of the estate, you'll need to upload:

  • your proof of identification (ID), such as a passport, photo driver's licence or birth certificate
  • a document that says you're the executor or the administrator, such as the will or the letter of administration.